Skip to main content

Winning against the cold



It’s over. I can’t move anymore. Sitting on the cold floor with my legs crossed, I prepare to meet my Maker. My numb hands are resting on my knees and I wait. If I have to die, I shall die in peace and with dignity. The cold is piercing my face and chest with thousands of needles. It’s sinking deep into my lungs, like the claw of a giant ice dragon. I decide to ignore it from now on. Obedient to my final wish, the pain fades away soon and is replaced by a comfortable numbness.
I start dreaming. I hear a voice telling me to sit on a higher stone, set my ankles over my thighs and let my knees touch the ground. If this position is too difficult to maintain, it can also be done by putting the ankles on top of each other. The voice also suggests to keep my back and head straight, my hands in the center with the left on top of the right and have the thumbs touching each other. This whole body posture looks a bit unusual to me, but what do I have to lose? With my last powers I find a flat stone and sit on it the way the voice from my dream indicated. Like in a dream, I adjust the position of my body, as suggested. I don’t care at this point anymore if the voice is real or only coming from my imagination. It makes me feel that I’m not alone and that is good enough for me. It’s always easier to have somebody near you when you die than to fade away from this world alone.


 ♣ [...] ♣


    I’ve lost the count of time. I’ve lost the sensation of cold. I’ve lost the information about who and what I am. There is nothing else, only the Universe outside and inside me. That’s all that ever is, all that ever was, all that ever will be. The Universe, the real one, is not in the world of manifestations. Everything else, including myself, is an illusion. My body is burning like a flame. Life is an illusion. Death is an illusion. Pain is an illusion.

 (excerpt from "Butterfly's Dream", a novel by Marian C. Ghilea)

Popular posts from this blog

Butterfly's Dream - 12 free sample chapters!

The adventures of Alberto Shimada on the unusual realm that is known as "The Island". Excelsior, Gold City, the Kai River, Nivit, the village of Eldor, the mountains, the snow storm, Esyon and Nosyon. Twelve free sample chapters from "Buttefly's Dream" are available for download and reading as epub, mobi and pdf. No sign in or subscription required. Please enjoy them:

Butterfly's Dream - Sample - EPUB
Butterfly's Dream - Sample - MOBI (Kindle format)
Butterfly's Dream - Sample - PDF

A new Alice in the old Wonderland and a physics textbook

“Mr. Sham and Mr. Hem, I believe,” said the King. “Very able professors, both. And so is Mr. Jappet, but I don’t see him.” “What do they teach ?” asked Alice. “How should I know ?” said the King. “Whatever there is to teach, I suppose.” He seemed for some reason to be a trifle displeased, and, opening a book he had, turned over the pages in silence for some minutes, making odd grimaces to himself. “You might care to look over this,” he said, at last, to Alice. “Thank you,” she replied. “It isn’t your Memorandum-Book, then? I thought it was.” “I should think not, indeed !” he answered, loftly. “I found this book on the end of the bench here when I sat down. I fancy it’s his.” And he turned his head with a nod towards the owl. Then he laid the book on the bench and strolled away. Alice thought it was rather odd she had not noticed any book when she sat down. There was nothing at all promising in the appearance of it nor in its title, which was “College Examinations.” At home she w…