Monday, 26 December 2016

Recollections


   While I’m waiting and the sky is sinking into twilight, my thoughts are drifting, reflecting shadows from my own past. Meanwhile, a second pair of eyes seems to be watching me from behind. Yet, they are also my own eyes… I feel like living two parallel existences at the same time. I’m here, but also in a remote location, sailing over stormy waves across the ocean. I can even experience for a moment the salty smell of the sea water. How can my body be in two different places at once? Then, as quickly as it came, the strange sensation of being connected directly with another person and place is gone.




  Swimming inside the fuzzy memories of my childhood, I pick up self reflections from old times. They are materializing into the outline of a shy kid, fascinated by the nebulous, mysterious worlds hidden in the Earth’s thin, rocky crust. Back then, I would often spend long hours searching for caves in the ridges covered with the green-blue shadows of the pines and spruces that surrounded my village in a giant, still embrace. Year after year I would find little caverns, some only a few steps deep, others extending for tens of meters. Most of them were dug in lime by temporary water streams, born after millennia of hidden work from summer rains or hatched by the periodic melting of the snow in the spring. The never resting water was the invisible architect for all.


(excerpt from "Butterfly's Dream", a novel by Marian C. Ghilea)